As the weekend is here and plans are being made for baseball games, food festivals and more I’m still reminiscing about last weekends Devour Culinary Classic . Moving to the Desert Botanical Garden for the first time it looked to me that all was good on Sunday when I got a chance to go.The great weather, spacious & pretty DBG, great food and people made for a winning combination. There was also a little competitive spirit on both days as 8 judge’s walked through all 10 tasting zones tasting food from many if not all the restaurants participating.
The judges picked these dishes as their winners on Saturday.
- Winner: Cibo
- Arancini no.1 – Pan Fried rice balls with mozzarella and green peas
- Arancini no. 2- Pam fried rice balls with mozzarella and lamb
- Runner Up: Phoenix Public Market
- Arizona Citrus Salad – goat cheese, pistachios, local dates, sweet shallot honey vinaigrette, micro greens
- Winner: True Food Kitchen
- Grilled Cauliflower Planks – black walnut pesto, truffle tahini, aleppo chili
- Runner Up: Helio Basin Brewery
- Venison Sausage
- Winner: Gallo Blanco
- Flapjacks with Plantains Foster
- Runner Up: Dust Cutter
- Huevos Rancheros / Sonoran Native Tepary Bean Chili, Ground bison, quail egg and chorizo espuma
Good to see Sedona & Flagstaff restaurants Elote Cafe and Shift catching the attention of the judge’s.
Excellence in Presentation
- Winner: Kai
- Smoked Ocean Trout, Squash Escabeche, Huitlacoche Chumeth, Black Tepary Miso.
- Runner Up: FnB / The Inbetweens
- Fresh vegetable salad with sugar snap peas and country ham
Excellence in Innovation
- Winner: Shift
- Beef tongue Philly Cheese steak
- Runner Up: The Dressing Room
- Tako Yaki Hushpuppy with a Tomato Sriracha Jam
Excellence in Taste
- Winner: Elote Cafe
- Spicy Anasazi beans with local heritage barley and mesquite corn bread
- Runner Up: Different Point of View
- Grain Mustard Soy Grilled Muscovy Duck; Sweet Corn Milk Griddle Cakes & Bliss Maple Drizzle , Kumquat Shallot Jam, Duck Cracklings, Basil Oil
Excellence in Distinction: FnB
Runner up: Kai