Events & news about what’s going on around the Phoenix restaurant community, breweries and wineries.
“Dine Out for Maui” at Phoenix area restaurant
Several Phoenix area restaurants are donating a portion of proceeds to rescue and rebuilding efforts on Maui. Several chefs, restaurant owners and employees have connections to to Maui having lived & worked there or enjoyed the tropical paradise on vacation.
- For the week of August 21, Rusconi’s American Kitchen (10637 N. Tatum Blvd.) will donate a portion of the proceeds from their Pork Tenderloin entrée to the cause. (They are open Tuesday-Sunday.)
- Crujente Tacos (3961 E. Camelback Rd.) will donate 100% of the proceeds from their Pork Belly Tacos ($7) on Sunday, August 20 from noon until 4:00 p.m. at their walk-up window (while supplies last).
- Kaizen, located inside the Lawrence (515 E. Grant St.), will offer a $1200 dining experience as a raffle item. Details will be available on their website, kaizenphx.com, after August 21. The raffle will run for a week and all proceeds from the raffle will be donated to the fundraiser.
- Original Breakfast House (13623 N. 32nd St.) will host a fundraiser on August 26 and 27 with food specials, live music, a raffle and more! Details will be posted on their Facebook page the week of August 21. OBH has also launched its Aloha for Maui menu, a nod to its annual Spirit of Aloha month. The menu is now available and 40% of proceeds from selections on the menu will go directly to the fund. The Aloha for Maui menu features delicious and hearty Hawaiian-inspired specials made with lots of aloha such as Loco Moco, Kalua Pork Benedict, Hawaiian Fried Rice with SPAM, Hawaiian Pancakes, traditional Hawaiian Lunch Plates and more.
- Chula Seafood is hosting a raffle for a $500 gift card with a $5 minimum donation; every additional $5 donated will serve as another entry. (For example, a $20 donation equates to four entries.) All money collected from the raffle will be donated to the fundraiser. The raffle will start on August 21. Entries are accepted in store (at any Chula location) or online at chulaseafood.com.
- Streets of New York – The local family owned and operated pizzeria has pledged to donate $2,000 to the Hawaii Community Foundation. In addition, they will be donating a portion of the sales from their Hawaiian Pizzas (Canadian bacon & pineapple) sold through the end of August. To order online or find a Streets of New York near you, visit www.streetsofnewyork.com.
- Koibito Poké – Poke and Hawaii go hand in hand and that is why Koibito Poké, Arizona’s leading poké restaurant, is hoping to make an impact with their delicious poke bowls. Frow now until September 1st, a portion of the sales from Koibito’s Signature Bowls will be donated to the Hawaii Community Foundation for their Maui Strong Fund. The Maui Strong Fund is providing financial resources that can be deployed quickly, with a focus on rapid response and recovery for the devastating wildfires on Maui. www.koibitopoke.com
- AZ Lemonade Stand– Starting August 20th, National lemonade Day, Pineapple Lemonade will be released and 100% of proceeds from online and select retail locations will be donated to the Maui United Way’s fire and disaster relief initiatives.
The state of Hawaii has actively recommended donations to the Maui Strong Fund and more information on this charity can be found at hawaiicommunityfoundation.org.
Teacher appreciation at Los Sombreros
Teachers, students and faculty from the Mesa and Scottsdale Unified School Districts get free guacamole with purchase of an entree until August 31st. Enjoy at either their Mesa or Scottsdale locations with coupon or school ID with more info found here.
Southwest Breakfast Burger available at Chompie’s for a limited time
At any location and at any time this 1/2 lb. Kobe beef burger is available from August 22nd-September 11th for only $16.99. Topped with a fried egg, chorizo, pepperjack cheese and cilantro its served on a fresh Brioche bun. Pair it with a mimosa for only $6.50 more.
Guacamole & Margarita making class at Z’ Tejas
Thursday August 23rd at the Scottsdale location a mixologist and chef will teach you to make the perfect bowl of guacamole and pitcher of margaritas. Take home a shaker, get tips & techniques and flavor combinations for only $50. The class starts at 6 p.m. and tickets are on sale at this link.
Tommy V’s to host Duckhorn Family Wine Dinner
The Old Town Scottsdale restaurant hosts a 5-course dinner paired with wine from the Napa Valley Winery on Thursday, August 31st. Dine on Grilled Peach & Burrata, Crab & Shrimp Ravioli, Wild Mushroom Risotto, Short Ribs and Creme Brulee paired with white & red wines. The dinner starts at 6:30 p.m. with reserved seats are $125++ and can be reserved by calling 480-427-2264.
Check out Pulling Corks & Forks: The Podcast with Sandy Wasserman to hear from those in our community. Please subscribe, like & comment.Follow me.